1965 to Present
Our Sisters in the 21st Century
From their earliest days, education has been important. In 1878, the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood opened a Normal School for Teachers. It remained open as St. Mary’s College of O’Fallon until 1988. The Sisters sponsored St. Elizabeth Academy as a boarding school for girls in 1882, which transitioned into an all-girls’ catholic high school for students with a wide range of abilities and diverse backgrounds. The school remained open until June 2013. The congregation started St. Mary’s Academy in O’Fallon in 1964 as a small, private Catholic girls’ high school, remaining open until 1990. From 1966 until 2007, the Sisters sponsored Linda Vista Catholic School, a Montessori pre-school and grades one through eight.
Beyond educational settings, St. Elizabeth Adult Day Care Center was opened in 1981 on the site of St. Elizabeth Academy to care for the elderly. Since then, six additional adult day care sites have opened across the St. Louis metropolitan region. In 1993, the Sisters sponsored the Centers for Professional and Pastoral Services which offer counseling and other human services.
In the 1980s and 1990s, in another effort to further its mission, the congregation moved to involve lay members of the Church more directly in its life and ministry. The Sisters started an associate program called CPPS Partners in Mission for both women and men.
In 1995, the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood of O’Fallon celebrated their sesquicentennial. The congregation looked back gratefully over all 150 years of its existence and now it looks forward to a future bright with the promise of continued collaboration with others called to join with the Sisters in bringing its mission of reconciliation to fulfillment.
“Faithful to our heritage and rooted in prayer, we seek to carry forward our mission of reconciliation through the Precious Blood of Jesus as he continues to reconcile all creation to the Father.”
– 1985 Constitutions –
Foundations in Steinberg, Switzerland (1845)
Exiled to France – Birth of Ecclesiastical Art in Gurtweil, Germany (1848 to 1860s)
Expansion into the New World (1870s to 1900)
Growing Ministry – Global Ministry (Early 1900s to 1965)
For archival inquiries, please contact:
Sr. Barbara Payne, CPPS, Archivist