Ecclesiastical Art Department- History

Ecclesiastical Art Department

The Ecclesiastical Art Department was  a ministry of the Sisters ofEcclesiastical Art Department of O'Fallon - Celebration the Most Precious Blood since 1858. It began in Germany under the inspiration of Fr. Kessler as a source of income for the fledgling community. When the Sisters immigrated to the United States in the 1870s because of the adverse political climate in Germany, they continued this work in their new homeland.

InSr Hiltrudis 1904, the Embroidery Department, as it was then called, exhibited a chasuble at the World’s Fair in St. Louis. A gold medal was awarded to their exhibit. Under the direction of Sr. Anselma Lange, 1906-1945, and Sr. Hiltrudis Powers, 1945-2000, the department expanded to include anything that would enhance Divine Services. The Sisters sent the fruits of their labors all over the United States and to many other countries.

Machine Stich - 1938Hand Stiching - 19381904 ChasubleBack Detail 1904

Before the Vatican Council II, the Department served only within the Catholic Church. However, in the new climate of ecumenism in the 1960s, the Sisters began to fill the needs of other denominations and soon numbered Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian and United Church of Christ congregations among their regular clients.

In 1999, the Sisters were commissioned to make a stole and mitre for the Holy Father’s visit to the Archdiocese of StPOPE JOHN PAUL II, ST. LOUIS 1999. Louis. Pope John Paul II wore the stole at the youth gathering and then returned it to the Archdiocese where it is presently on display in the cathedral crypt.

Sisters of the Most Precious Blood - Stitchers

The Sisters worked in the manner of a guild with each person contributing her particular skill. In addition to filling orders, they taught their skills in ecclesiastical embroidery and vestment making to several religious communities of Sisters in the United States. Sisters from Ghana, Africa, also came to learn this art and opened their own Ecclesiastical Art Department. Most recently, in 2007, the Benedictine Sisters of Mary, Queen of the Apostles were introduced to our techniques. Their department, known as the House of Ephesus, can be viewed online at www.benedictinesofmary.org.  We also trained Lucrecia DaSilva of St. Louis, MO, to take over the business of making custom fitted Albs and Altar Linens.  She can be contacted at 314-773-6272.

The Ecclesiastical Art Department was closed in 2018.

 

Translate

    Translate to:

Contact Us

phone
(636) 240-6010

address
204 North Main Street
O’Fallon, MO 63366-2299

email
info@cpps-ofallon.org

Members Only | Email Login | Press Information | Privacy Policy| Contact Us: 636-240-6010 © 2011 CPPS | Sisters of the Most Precious Blood of O'Fallon, MO
Website Designed and Developed by Studio 2108, Conceived and Written by Casey Communications