1870s to 1900

Expansion into the New World

Once again, a hostile government forced the Sisters to seek refuge. Bismarck’s Kulturkampf inaugurated a military policy against the entire Church, and by the May Laws decreed the expulsion of all religious congregations. Through this, however, God led the young community to expand into the New World.

In 1870, nine Sisters arrived in Belle Prairie, Illinois; the remainder of the congregation arrived over the next three years. At that time, another separation occurred. Some Sisters chose to remain in Belle Prairie and maintain affiliation with the Precious Blood Congregation in Rome. Other Sisters, under the leadership of Mother Augusta Volk, did not accept the conditions of the Bishop to remain in the Illinois diocese. They temporarily moved to St. Agatha’s Parish in St. Louis, and in 1875, established the community in its current motherhouse in O’Fallon, Missouri. The Sisters became an independent congregation and gained pontifical status in 1918.

Foundations in Steinberg, Switzerland (1845)
Exiled to France – Birth of Ecclesiastical Art in Gurtweil, Germany (1848 to 1860s)
Growing Ministry – Global Ministry (Early 1900s to 1965)
Our Sisters in the 21st Century (1965 to Present)

For archival inquiries, please contact:

Sr. Barbara Payne, CPPS, Archivist
(636) 240-6010

Translate

    Translate to:

Contact Us

phone
(636) 240-6010

address
204 North Main Street
O’Fallon, MO 63366-2299

email
info@cpps-ofallon.org

Members Only | Email Login | Press Information | Privacy Policy| Contact Us: 636-240-6010 © 2011 CPPS | Sisters of the Most Precious Blood of O'Fallon, MO
Website Designed and Developed by Studio 2108, Conceived and Written by Casey Communications